Monday, September 26, 2011

Summer Recap

Before I move on to our latest projects, I thought I would give a quick recap of our summer. It was a wonderful summer. The weather was perfect, with some cool nights, but lots of warm, swim-worthy days. We spent a lot of time outside, mostly working. Brian and I probably spend more time hiking and such in the winter, because in the Summer we spend most of our outside time working, and we like it. I am actually disappointed when the weekend arrives and I don't have a to-do list in the garden. I am most happy when I am working outside.

Anyway, the grow box worked beautifully. The plants flourished in there, and were quite sad when we removed them to our stony garden. We added a grow box on the right side of the covered grow box. We planted spices in (shown), which did pretty well even though it was a late year.

We made a garden in our yard. You see that weed patch in the right of the first picture? Our landlords let us tear out those weeds and plant a little garden. It's about 16'x 16'. The ground is super rocky, and we didn't put much money into it since we probably won't plant in it again, but considering, it has been a good garden.
Something attacked our tomatoes one night, so we made our little scarecrow. He's wearing a tattered pear of overalls that our last scarecrow wore, an old long-sleeved tshirt of Brian's, two left-handed work gloves, and a milk jug for a head. The baseball cap really gives it a life-like look, and our dog starts growling whenever she sees it. I was skeptical about hanging pie tins from its arms, but it actually helped, although the flashes of sunshine on the tins always catches my eye from the other side of the yard. We got a decent crop of zucchinis and cucumbers. Our tomatoes were super late, but they are coming on nicely now. There is just nothing like the taste of a garden tomato. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment