Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Collages

This is the collage we made for my office. I had my office painted green (far less "clinical" than other offices, as one of my students pointed out). The color did make a huge difference, but my office still wasn't the haven that I wanted it to be. I realized that some things were unavoidable...such as the desk, computer, and filing cabinet, but the rest I could mess with. I have a nice, comfy chair in there that I take a nap in during lunch almost daily, which helps a lot. I decided I wanted to decorate my office like my home. In the past, I've decorated it with cast-offs, but I spend a lot of time at my office (WAY more than I would ever choose to), so it should feel comfortable. I hung up some prints (more coming about these in a later post!), but I had a huge wall that needed something to cover up its blankness. So, we made this collage. It's covered with pictures, words, and ideas all associated with a 'quaint' lifestyle, embodying the joy of all 4 seasons. I just love it. It hangs proudly on my wall, and I find myself staring at it dreamily when I should probably be engaged in my work.

I don't have any pictures of additional collages readily available at the moment, but this is actually a pretty prominent form of decoration in our home. We got a whole bunch of old magazines (either free or for 10 cents a piece), including Country Living and Martha Stewart Living. We are slowly working our way through the plethora of magazines, building up a huge catalog of pictures for collages. We sometimes cut edges, or my favorite thing to do is to tear them (licking the edges first makes for a great edge). Put the pictures together on the board/paper, then finish it with little pictures (to cover up holes), and words or phrases, and you're all set! I love collages. They are a feast for the eyes every time you see them.

No comments:

Post a Comment