Friday, January 6, 2012

Capturing the Moment

For Brian this year for Christmas, we focused on giving him tools to move forward with his photography hobby. He's made do with ok gear so far, but since he's done with classes, he'll have more time to focus on it, so we decided to give him presents for his photography. Brian's parents got him photoshop. I can't wait to see what he'll be able to do with it. The program is way over my head, but he gets all of the software lingo, so he'll decipher it quickly I'm sure. I also got him a carbon fiber tripod (got a smashing deal on it). It's super lightweight, but it can hold his camera with a large lens on it (his last tripod couldn't). They thought of everything on it.

My mom and I got him a photography bag for hikers. This might sound like a simple contraption, but that bag has more features than I expected. I didn't get a good pic, but there's this fantastic pocket in the side of the bag for easy removal/placement of the camera (you can see it in this picture). This pocket is padded specifically for a camera, an extra lens, and a few other extras. It also has a cinch mechanism so that you can tighten it if you'll be running. Then the camera won't jostle the tiniest bit. There's a main compartment for gear and stuff, a top pocket for smaller stuff, two small pockets on the hip strap for filters and other gear, a space on the side for quick tripod removal, and a connected rain fly in case it starts raining. There's also a compartment for a bladder so that it can be a hydration bag as well. It also has an emergency whistle on the straps, just in case. It's just awesome. It's a good thing he opened it last, because once it was open, he wouldn't put it down! In fact, I've barely been able to separate it from him since. He wears it everywhere.
Yep, there he is wearing it again on our hike to Taughannock! Taughannock Falls is the second highest falls this side of the Mississippi, or something like that. They're pretty, and it's a nice wintry hike.

Usually in the winter the falls are surrounded by loads and loads of snow, mounded up to surprising heights. This year however, the warm weather has left the falls nearly untouched, save for icicles and a thin blanket of snow on the ground. It was incredibly beautiful. I think I like the waterfalls here more in the winter. They are just awe-inspiring.

2 comments:

  1. beautiful... but oh, so cold! how do you do it? it makes me want to cuddle up in a blanket and drink something hot just looking at this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh don't worry, that's what I do as soon as I get home...

    ReplyDelete