Thursday, July 11, 2013

Snapshots

I've recently fallen in love with a book called "A Year of Mornings". It's a photography book done by two women living across the country from each other. One lives in Portland, ME; the other in Portland, OR. Each morning for a year, they took a picture of something, a snapshot, of their daily life. The book is beautiful. They have a blog; you should check it out: 3191 Miles Apart.

The reason why I love it so much is because they don't take pictures of anything spectacular. There's a picture of the corner of a gingham napkin on a worn table, crumbs on a plate, or just a simple window frame. My friend Stephanie, while thumbing through the book, pointed out a picture of an air conditioner...an air conditioner of all things, somehow made beautiful. Every picture is finding beauty in the everyday; the ordinary. I love that idea, and I feel a need to find beauty in the small things in my life as well.

So please forgive my incredible lack of experience, but I would like to occasionally post these photos on my blog. Brian's joining me on this occasionally, so some of the pictures are his. We want to share what we see. 

Here are a few from the last couple of weeks:









For those of you who know me well and are thinking, "Holy crap, Esther painted her toenails!" It's a good thing my toes are under water in this pic, so you can't see the crappy job I did. There's practically more paint on my skin than my nails. It's been well over 10 years since I painted them, so give me a break. I like the orange.




1 comment:

  1. Love these photos and your toenails. Who says you can't change your mind?

    ReplyDelete