Monday, January 7, 2013

The Remodel

The past several months has been a whirlwind of activity. Brian's been subbing daily while doing 18 credits of grad work, leaving me with lots of time to work on remodeling the house. We're fixing this house up for my aunt to sell it. Hopefully our improvements will make it much easier to sell.

I wish we had more before pictures.  There are so many details that went into every room I can't include them all, but suffice it to say that we changed a lot. Every room in this house took at least 5 times longer than we thought it would.

Our Living Room Before:

This room was originally full of junk (including an interesting array of dead bats), and the walls were covered in that paneling Brian's tearing out right there. It was full of holes and super gross. This room had no electricity, so all of that had to be added. All of the lath board on the walls and ceiling was removed, and the room wasn't insulated, so we took care of that too. The room to the left of this one (door on the left) was closed off. It's housing my Grandmother's things; we won't use it.

After:

The Office Before:




I don't have adequate befores of this room. These pictures were taken long after the worst was over in here. No electricity (besides a light fixture) or insulation in this room either. The walls had deteriorating plaster on it (as well as the ceiling) with graffiti from  my cousins when they were kids.

After:


The Bedroom Before:



This room required less work. Only one wall needed to be insulated, and the room had electricity! The walls in all of the rooms had hives throughout them (see photo above). We filled an entire box with them.

After:



The Breakfast Nook Before:

I include this picture because the door on the right goes into the Breakfast Nook. The room was literally full of junk. There are shelves on the walls covered in old greasy appliances, a freezer full of dry storage...the whole room was full old kitchen stuff. I had it half cleaned out here (believe it or not). Here's the room after most of the cleanout:

After:




The Family Room Before:




My Dad used this room as his living room. We've since moved his living to a more private space, so this room is now pretty bare.

After:




The Kitchen Before:




I tried to decorate this kitchen, but the end result was yuck.The scallops over the window are the last straw for me. So, the only thing to do was paint the whole thing.

After:





The Bathroom Before:


I forgot to get befores in this room until I had already started painting (hence the blue tape). The tile was pink though, so that should speak for itself.

After:


While we were working on this, I discovered that I like remodeling. In fact, I think when we buy a house, we'll buy a fixer-upper. Then you can really make it yours.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, you guys do amazing work! I'm very impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am overwhelmed looking at this. I honestly don't know how you did it all with everything else you are managing. This is so, so impressive.--Kelly H.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Big wow. Good job. I too have learned that every project takes 5x as long as you plan. That may or may not be why we have only done three rooms in three years at our house. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss seeing your pretty face!! it's been way too long!! and i LOVE what you've done with your home, it looks awesome!! can't wait to see you guys again. my hubby and i are coming to new york some time this summer, we'll keep you posted... it'd be so fun to see you guys :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd better let me know when you're in town! It would not only be fun to see you, it's a must.

      Delete
  5. I don't know how I missed this post before but WOW! I can't imagine how daunting this must have been. Incredible transformation!

    ReplyDelete