Tuesday, May 10, 2011

April Showers

I love this time of year. Spring may not be the prettiest season, but it is definitely the most welcome. After a long hard winter, there is nothing more exciting than a patch of bright green grass. The color is shocking after so much brown and white.

Brian and I don't have a spot of ground to plant in, so we are improvising. We built a cold frame, filled it with dirt and rocks, and we're planting in that, right on top of our cement patio.


Spring comes slow in Upstate NY. When I lived out west, Spring time was beautiful and sunny, with flowers popping out of the ground and trees laced with blossoms. Here, it really starts with rain...lots of rain. It gets a little warmer, but it's the rain that really gets rid of the snow. It's a wet season, and it's not until it's ending that the sun comes out and the flowers really show their colors. I don't mind the rain though...that's why it's so green here. I know that the rain means good crops, and running streams. I missed the sound of water so much when I lived in the desert, I don't mind it at all now. I especially love it when the spring storms happen. I like the sound of thunder, and the unexpected crash of lightning. There's something really comforting about sitting in your safe house while the wind and the rain are whirling outside.

We got a lot of rain this spring, so planting was a little difficult. We had to literally fit it in between storms. I was eager to put something into the ground, so we planted beets, lettuce, and a few tomatoes in the grow box halfway through April. They germinated slowly in the cool weather, but it was gratifying to see something peek it's green leaves through the soil.

Whenever I see that, I think, "I helped make that happen!" And I excitedly anticipate the steamed beet greens and the fresh garden salads from my very own garden...there is really nothing better.

No comments:

Post a Comment